We have a current opportunity for a Head of Christian Ethos on a permanent basis. The position will be based at any YMCA site but you must be willing to travel to different sites.
As our Head of Christian Ethos (HoCE) you will lead a small, but highly significant team at the heart of the development of the Christian ethos and value base across the charity.
Working with the CEO, you will set out how we strategically approach embedding our Christian ethos across our charity. Working with the People & Culture team, you will help us develop and embed a way of being that ensures that we remain a Christian Charity that welcomes people of all faiths and none. Working with the Communications team, you will help recruit and then manage the employed and volunteer Chaplains.
Your role will build on the faith continuum that was there when we were formed in the mid 19th century and that continues to enable people of all ages, in particular young people, to flourish through experiencing and responding to the love of God demonstrated by the life, example and teaching of Jesus Christ;
YMCA St Paul's Group (SPG) is large and local charity focused on empowering young people by providing the resources and support so they can thrive whilst also creating inclusive, active and healthy communities where everyone can flourish.
- We provide housing and support to over 1,200 young and vulnerable people in need of a place to call home and support them with services that empower them to build a positive future.
- We support thousands of children, young people, and families to be safe, healthy, connected, and confident.
- We bring people together by encouraging them to be healthy, physically and mentally.
- We help nurture an environment where people of all faiths and none have the opportunity to understand and express the love of God.
Our approach is informed by our Christian faith and we work with fellow community collaborators to see our vision realised. Our core values underpin the way that we deliver our work and our aim is to create an inclusive culture where our staff, residents and customers feel a sense of belonging and are able to be their authentic selves.
Duties and Responsibilities
As HoCE you are responsible for taking a strategic look across the charity to ensure that the charity is developing and embedding its Christian Ethos and in particular meeting its charitable objectives of:
- promoting a Christian environment inspired and motivated by the life, example, and teaching of Jesus Christ, where people of faith and people of none can work together for the transformation of communities; and
- enabling people of all ages and in particular young people, to flourish through experiencing and responding to the love of God demonstrated by the life, example and teaching of Jesus Christ;
Senior Management Team (SMT)
As a member of the senior management team you will:
- Work with SMT colleagues in help nurture and embed the charity's Christian ethos throughout its sites and services
- Support the development of theological and ethical frameworks that support organisational decision making
- Help support a programme of regular and annual events that help staff, volunteers and service users understand and engage with the charity's Christian faith basis
- Be a role model providing guidance and support, helping others demonstrate professionalism and ensure standards and inclusive approach is maintained across their areas of responsibility.
- Coordinate pastoral and community responses in the event of significant events
Chaplaincy Team management
As the lead for the delivery of chaplaincy services, you will:
- Lead on the recruitment and induction of all paid and voluntary chaplaincy team staff.
- Provide line management, motivational leadership, mentoring and coaching to the staff team, ensuring clarity of direction, effective communication, and personal and professional development.
- Conduct regular supervision meetings and Regular Work Reviews to help monitor staff performance; identify training needs where necessary.
- Holding regular team meetings to ensure good communication and best practice is disseminated and encouraging a cohesive staff team who support one another's roles.
- Manage rotas, staff cover, and absence for sickness and annual leave.
- Oversee the completion and timely submission of all HR paperwork, such as Staff Changes, Starter and Leaver Forms.
Finance and Budgetary Management
As a budget holder you will:
- Work with the Finance team to set annual budgets for your department.
- Maintain accurate financial and performance records and produce reports as and when required by management.
- Identify alternative sources of funding for new pieces of work, working with the Fundraising department where appropriate.
General - Line Managers
As a line manager you are responsible for:
- Ensuring compliance with all relevant legislation including Safeguarding, Confidentiality, Data Protection and Health and Safety guidelines and policies. Oversee all information provided to statutory agencies and the police.
- Assisting in the collation of statistics and data for the purpose of reporting to the Exec Team, Senior Management Team, Board of Directors, and other external stakeholders or funders.
Please apply today and we will be in touch!
Morgan Hunt is a multi-award-winning recruitment business for interim, contract and temporary recruitment and acts as an Employment Agency in relation to permanent vacancies. Morgan Hunt is an equal opportunities employer. Job suitability is assessed on merit in accordance with the individual's skills, qualifications and abilities to perform the relevant duties required in a particular role.