Permanent – 2 days per week up to 0.4 FTE
Up to Pt 8 of SFCA Teaching Pay Spine - currently £41,706 pro rata per annum
Varndean College is a thriving and successful sixth form college with an excellent reputation for high outcomes, providing an inspirational student experience and adding value to all of our community. Based in the city of Brighton and Hove we transform lives through exceptional education. We are proud of our dynamic culture, inclusivity and reputation as trailblazers.
The College is seeking to appoint an inspirational and successful subject specialist to teach Physics. As a College, we are ambitious for our students, and we are looking for staff who can bring the right blend of flexibility, commitment, energy, and vision. This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced or newly qualified teacher to join the team and make a significant contribution to the continuous improvement of this thriving and successful department.
The School offers Mathematics, Chemistry, Biology, and Physics at A level. Additionally GCSE Science and Mathematics are provided for students who want to progress to A levels in the future. As part of the International Baccalaureate Diploma we offer Chemistry, Biology and Physics at Higher and Standard levels (Biology only at HL, ESS at SL). We also have introduced the CTEC L3 extended diploma for Engineering, which has proved to be very popular, the successful candidate may be asked to teach part of this course.
The separate subject areas are each led by a Programme Coordinator. Five technicians provide technical support and are led by the Senior Technician.
We are committed to helping students enjoy their work whilst challenging them intellectually. Teachers within the School utilise a variety of teaching and learning methodologies to deliver stimulating and engaging lessons. A variety of support strategies are employed to enable students to adjust to the demands of A level, including the maths for physics course to support students with weaker mathematical skills.
To be successful, you will have a relevant degree and a recognised teaching qualification. Applications from NQTs and experienced teachers from Sixth Form Colleges, FE Colleges and Schools are welcome. We value the diversity of our staff and students and we particularly welcome applicants from under-represented backgrounds.
● A supportive, communicative and consultative working ment.
● A commitment to the on-going professional development of our staff.
● The opportunity to join our Corporate Memberships to Freedom Leisure or the Brighton Gym, use of the College Fitness Suite and a Cycle to Work Scheme.
● A salary sacrifice Techscheme.
● The use of an Employee Assistance programme offering unlimited 24/7 support on a range of topics, issues and matters.
● Discounts on Adult Education Courses run by the College.
● Annual health screenings, flu shots and free eye tests, and free exercise/well-being classes.
● Access to Staff Welfare services on a referral basis.
● Free use of College Library resources.
● Regular staff social events throughout the year.
Please complete an application form from Varndean vacancies page at https://varndean.ac.uk/vacancies/ outlining how you meet the criteria listed in the job description and person specification for the role. Completed applications should be forward to HR by the closing date shown.
Closing date – Wednesday 19th April 2023
Interview date – Wednesday 26th April 2023