Programme Leader - Chemistry
Permanent – 0.8 - 1.0 FTE over 4 or 5 days per week
Up to Pt 9 of SFCA Teaching Pay Spine - currently £43,413 pro rata per annum, plus 2 periods of management remission
Varndean College is a thriving and successful sixth form college with an excellent reputation for high outcomes, providing an inspirational student experience and adding value to all of our community. Based in the city of Brighton and Hove we transform lives through exceptional education. We are proud of our dynamic culture, inclusivity and reputation as trailblazers.
An opportunity has arisen for a skilful and energetic practitioner to lead our successful Chemistry team. The coordination of our Med/Vet/Dent programme is also available for the right candidate which comes with an additional responsibility allowance of £2207 per annum.
The Chemistry Department consists of one full-time member of staff and two part-time teachers one of whom also acts as Laboratory Technician. It is a lively department and services both IB and A level Chemistry. We are actively involved in many projects. The department runs the Cambridge Chemistry Challenge (C3L6) in Yr1 and the RSC Chemistry Olympiad in Yr2. In addition, we run the Analytical Competition run by the Royal Society of Chemistry and offer the Cambridge Chemistry Race both in Yr1. We have strong links with both the local universities and Southampton University too.
To be successful, you will have a relevant degree and a recognised teaching qualification. Applications from NQTs and experienced teachers from Sixth Form Colleges, FE Colleges and Schools are welcome. We value the diversity of our staff and students and we particularly welcome applicants from under-represented backgrounds.
● A supportive, communicative and consultative working ment.
● A commitment to the on-going professional development of our staff.
● The opportunity to join our Corporate Memberships to Freedom Leisure or the Brighton Gym, use of the College Fitness Suite and a Cycle to Work Scheme.
● A salary sacrifice Techscheme.
● The use of an Employee Assistance programme offering unlimited 24/7 support on a range of topics, issues and matters.
● Discounts on Adult Education Courses run by the College.
● Annual health screenings, flu shots and free eye tests, and free exercise/well-being classes.
● Access to Staff Welfare services on a referral basis.
● Free use of College Library resources.
● Regular staff social events throughout the year.
Please complete an application form from Varndean vacancies page at https://varndean.ac.uk/vacancies/ outlining how you meet the criteria listed in the job description and person specification for the role. Completed applications should be forward to HR by the closing date shown.
Closing date – Monday 10th April 2023
Interview date – Thursday 20th April 2023