Programme Leader – Classical Civilisation
Permanent – approx. 0.8 FTE over 4 days per week
Up to Pt 9 of SFCA Teaching Pay Spine - currently £43,413 pro rata per annum, plus 2 periods of management remission
Varndean College is a thriving and successful sixth form college with an excellent reputation for high outcomes, providing an inspirational student experience and adding value to all of our community. Based in the vibrant city of Brighton and Hove we transform lives through exceptional education. We are proud of our dynamic culture, inclusivity and reputation as trailblazers.
We are looking for a dynamic and excellent teacher of Classical Civilisation to lead a thriving department in the college, which attracts bright, excited and enthusiastic students and achieves outstanding A level results. This is a popular and successful course that leads to many students going onto study Classics and Classical Civilisation at university. A particular highlight of the course is the opportunity to visit Rome and Greece in alternate years to study the ancient civilisations first hand. There may also be an opportunity to join the English team on either the Level 3 or 2 programmes, which is another exemplary and high performing area of Varndean College.
To be successful, you will have a relevant degree and a recognised teaching qualification. Applications from NQTs and experienced teachers from Sixth Form Colleges, FE Colleges and Schools are welcome. We value the diversity of our staff and students and we particularly welcome applicants from under-represented backgrounds.
● A supportive, communicative and consultative working ment.
● A commitment to the on-going professional development of our staff.
● The opportunity to join our Corporate Memberships to Freedom Leisure or the Brighton Gym, use of the College Fitness Suite and a Cycle to Work Scheme.
● A salary sacrifice Techscheme.
● The use of an Employee Assistance programme offering unlimited 24/7 support on a range of topics, issues and matters.
● Discounts on Adult Education Courses run by the College.
● Annual health screenings, flu shots and free eye tests, and free exercise/well-being classes.
● Access to Staff Welfare services on a referral basis.
● Free use of College Library resources.
● Regular staff social events throughout the year.
Please complete an application form from Varndean vacancies page at https://varndean.ac.uk/vacancies/ outlining how you meet the criteria listed in the job description and person specification for the role. Completed applications should be forward to HR by the closing date shown.
Closing date – Monday 10th April 2023
Interview date – Wednesday 19th April 2023