Find out more this organisation on their careers site
HEALTH & WELLBEING INSTRUCTOR
Responsible to: Health and Wellbeing Coordinator
Responsible for: N/A
Hours of Work: 8 hours per week, worked on a rota basis, including evenings, weekends and public holidays or generally worked within office hours, Monday to Friday, with occasional evening and weekend work
Work Location: Hampton Pool, although may be required to work at any YMCA St Paul's Group location
Working as part of a team providing a creative and motivating environment within our Health and Wellbeing Department. Contributing to the day-to-day running of YMCA London South West's gyms; inducting and supervising gym users, providing for individual and collective health and wellbeing goals. Conduct personal training, and providing a safe and effective environment whilst being friendly and approachable. If suitably qualified, deliver and assist with the exercise referral programme.
YMCA St Paul's Group (SPG) is the largest YMCA in Europe and a leading provider of supported housing in London and beyond, providing a safe place to stay to about 1,200 young and vulnerable people each night.
- We provide housing and support to those in need of a place to call home and support them with services that empower them to build a positive future.
- We support children, young people and families to be safe, healthy, connected and confident.
- We bring people together by encouraging them to be healthy, physically and mentally.
- We help nurture an environment where people of all faiths and none have the opportunity to understand and express the love of God.
- We empower our residents, staff and users by providing them with excellent service and welcoming properties where they can thrive.
- We enable the Charity to respond to the future with an equipped and empowered workforce that is flexible and agile.
- The vision of YMCA St Paul's group is to empower young people by providing the resources and support so they can thrive. We wish to create inclusive, active and healthy communities where everyone can flourish.
Our approach is informed by our Christian faith and we work with fellow community collaborators to see this vision realised. Our core values underpin the way that we deliver our work and our aim is to create an inclusive culture where our staff, residents and customers feel a sense of belonging and are able to be their authentic selves.
We welcome everyone, strive for excellence in all we do, inspire hope in others for what they might achieve and strive to grow and develop both people and places.
Duties and Responsibilities
Service Delivery and Customer Experience
- Provide at all times an exceptional level of customer care to members and public alike by adhering to YMCA customer care standards.
- Assist in or conduct tours as required by Membership or Reception staff. Be fully informed of sales and membership procedures, prices and terms. Promote provisions detailed in the Association's 'Get Started' Programme.
- Be conversant with the Association's membership software (currently Gladstone Plus2).
- Be familiar with the aims and objectives of the lifestyle questionnaire, in order to be able to competently screen participants prior to exercise.
- Ensure that at least 80% of all new monthly members complete the 5 stages of the 'Get Started' programme, adhering to the programme procedure and following up with the members to get feedback from them.
- Demonstrate a sound base knowledge in the delivery of exercise instruction, supervision and assessment to meet each member's needs.
- Administer, record, and update each member's programme as appropriate.
- Provide advice and attention to members both during and outside of consultations.
- Actively support and communicate social and educational programmes to members. Communicate and participate in fundraising and promotional events as requested.
- Promote and support active and healthy lifestyles whilst participating in community projects and events.
- Be part of developing the 12 month events and social calendar by providing ideas and gaining feedback from users.
- Be fully conversant in current trends in Health and Wellbeing and keep abreast of new initiatives and developments in the Health and Wellbeing Industry.
- Sign post members to other services offered by the YMCA that may be relevant to their needs.
- If appropriately qualified (level 3 or equivalent), to recruit and advise personal training clients outside normal working hours.
- Teach Group Exercise Classes and gym workshops (as appropriately qualified) for a range of diverse users, as set out in the YMCA Programme or at special events.
- Assume special responsibility for areas as agreed with the Health and Wellbeing Manager e.g. Fitness assessments, running Group Exercise Classes, undertaking special programme or tasks, etc.
- If holding an Exercise Referral Qualification, work with members who have been referred under the Exercise Referral Scheme - assessing their needs, developing suitable programmes of intervention, and working with clients to reach their goals.
Facilities and Health & Safety
- Ensure equipment is maintained in good working order at all times, ensuring any faults are recorded and reported immediately.
- Clean, maintain equipment, studios and rooms as per the schedule set out for the appropriate area.
- Set up equipment to meet the needs of the Health and Wellbeing programmes.
- Maintain the Health and Safety Policy (as set out) in the Health and Wellbeing Department. Where injuries are sustained by a member or participant respond accordingly, informing Management immediately, recording full details of injury, cause and action taken in the accident book at Reception.
- Open up and close down the department when on the relevant shift, in accordance with the gym opening/closing procedures.
General - All Staff
- Able to proficiently use IT systems, including working with databases, Microsoft office, email, internet
- Attend all relevant training and development programmes.
- Attend all relevant cross departmental, and Corporate Office meetings as and when required.
- Undertake any other duties as requested by line manager.
Scope and Limits of Authority
Brief description of who they should defer to, and which decisions can be made independently.
Morgan Hunt is a multi-award-winning recruitment business for interim, contract and temporary recruitment and acts as an Employment Agency in relation to permanent vacancies. Morgan Hunt is an equal opportunities employer. Job suitability is assessed on merit in accordance with the individual's skills, qualifications and abilities to perform the relevant duties required in a particular role.