Find out more about this organisation on their careers site
We have a current opportunity for a Night Support Worker on a permanent basis. The position will be based in Surbiton.
Hours of Work: Shifts are currently worked on a rota basis, generally covering the hours 9.30pm to 7.30am: seven days on, seven days off, including weekends and public holidays. Hours may be subject to alteration.
Job Purpose :
Work as part of a team providing care, support and security to people with a variety of support needs. This includes people from a range of ages and backgrounds who may suffer from issues relating to their mental health, family breakdown and alcohol/drug abuse.
Provide front of house and reception services; a warm welcome; ensure the security of the building as well as the safety of the residents is maintained. Deal with and advise homeless people who may present themselves at the hostel out of hours.
The Night Support staff are part of the wider Accommodation department and work closely with the Housing and Support team providing overnight support to residents and short stay guests. At present two staff are on duty. And backed up by an on-call Duty Director. The Night Support Worker works to provide a consistent service from day and night staff in the Housing and Support staff team. The Accommodation Department is committed to helping people move from dependence to independence.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Welcome everyone arriving at the centre
- Provide general support and advice to residents through the provision of a 'listening ear' service; provide all residents with a support service, particularly for those who are not able to meet with their Support Broker during the day.
- Manage and de-escalate challenging situations and behaviour from residents and visitors; discourage residents and visitors from congregating around entrance to the building.
- Regularly visit the Resident Lounge during opening hours, and be available to interact socially with the residents as required.
- Take a day to day role in the management of residents over issues such as behaviour, rent/personal contribution payments/arrears, and social interaction; ensuring consistency of approach by the Housing and Support Team and adherence to the Licence Agreement and Residents' Rights and Responsibilities.
- Deal with persons presenting as homeless, liaising with Out of Hours Social Services.
- Visit the move-on houses to deal with any emergencies which may arise.
- Keep written records of all significant contact with residents during the night;
- Ensure that handover on Pyramid up to date with information that the team will need to be informed about.
- Accurately record all incidents and complete Incident Report on Smart sheet or inform the Housing team and your line manager.
- Maintain records so that required reports can be produced for management information and other agencies as required.
- Ensure the safety of residents maintained whilst on duty.
- Record the issuing of keys and passes in the Key Diary.
- Ensure that Residents' visitors sign in and out of the Visitors' Book and that visitors have left the building at the end of visiting hours.
- Walk the floors of the building at regular intervals, to include the checking of security of all entrances/exits and the residential floors.
- Ensure that the front reception doors are locked and entry is monitored after 11pm.
- Complete log reports after each round/patrol detailing any matters or incidents, completing incident reports as necessary.
- Deal with damage to the building or vandalism whilst on duty, making areas safe or calling emergency contractors if appropriate; record any maintenance or repair issues in the Maintenance Book.
- Ensure that Health and Safety standards are maintained. Manage any emergency evacuations of the building and call for assistance from the emergency services where needed.
- Report all infringements relating to Health and Safety or Fire Regulations immediately, or as soon as it is practical.
- Operate the switchboard, transferring calls, taking and passing on messages. Make early morning alarm calls.
- Distribute internal and external post and messages for residents.
- Responsible for income received and the accurate recording of this and depositing in the safe.
- Undertake administration duties as requested by the Centre Services Co-ordinator and the Team Leader: Housing and Support, for example, prepare move in pack documents.
- Open the Gym in the absence of a Fitness Instructor.
- Distribute keys to Housekeeping staff when required.
- Ensure the reception area and communal areas are kept clean and tidy.
- Participate in regular team meetings and activities which contribute to the ongoing development and management of the Association's work with its residents, which may take place outside of regular working hours.
- Undertake all duties with regard to the Association's Equal Opportunities and Diversity Policy and other policies and procedures adopted by the Association.
- Respect the Christian ethos of the YMCA and uphold its values.
- Undertake any other duties as requested by line manager.
If you would like to be considered for this role, please apply today!
Morgan Hunt is a multi-award-winning recruitment business for interim, contract and temporary recruitment and acts as an Employment Agency in relation to permanent vacancies. Morgan Hunt is an equal opportunities employer. Job suitability is assessed on merit in accordance with the individual's skills, qualifications and abilities to perform the relevant duties required in a particular role.