Morgan Hunt are currently working with one of the UK's most renowned Children's Charity in their search for a permanent Legal Officer to provide support to the Legal Counsel and the Company Secretary in undertaking the full range of in-house legal functions for the Charity and its subsidiary.
You will be responsible for providing advice and managing a caseload relating to a range of legal and governance matters, while supporting the Charity to maintain compliance with statutory obligations.. You will take ownership to maintain a number of Registers including Contracts Register and Brand Intellectual Property Register.
You will monitor compliance with approved Governance codes of practice, provide advice relating to Gambling legislation and regulation, and support in the development and maintenance of precedents, contract templates, terms and conditions and other administrative matters relevant to the legal function. You will have heavy involvement in contracts management and drafting.
The successful post-holder will have previous experience providing In-House Legal support (ideally within a Charity), with generalist legal knowledge and strong experience within Contracts Law and management.
You will have strong knowledge of governance and compliance, with the ability to advise across organisations. You will be a well-communicated, pragmatic and motivated self-starter, with strong attention to detail and motivation to progress.
This is a permanent opportunity (working 2 days per week in the London Office). This position is perfect for a motivated individual, who is keen to pick up new areas of law and progress their legal career.
Job Title: Legal Officer
Location: Hybrid (2 days in London Office per week)
Annual Salary: £35,000 - £40,000
Job Type: Permanent
Start Date: September 2022
- Assist the Legal Counsel in a wide range of legal matters, including providing advice on a range of legal and governance matters
- Provide pro-active, consistent, good quality, and commercially focused support across the organisation
- Review, advise and guide on the content of contracts to be entered into, and the execution of such contracts
- Maintain relevant Registers & Compliance, including:
- Contracts Register and a schedule of review dates - liaising with key contacts across the Charity, in relation to procurement and retendering of contracts
- Brand Intellectual Property Register and establish a relationship with intellectual property lawyers
- Compliance with applicable environmental reporting obligations, for example ESOS and/or SECR
- Support in monitoring the Charity's compliance against approved governance codes of practice
- Provide advice to the Fundraising Teams in relation to gambling law, as it applies to the Charity's regulated and unregulated activity (and assisting with the submission of Gambling Commission returns)
- Write first draft legal documents, such as contracts, and proofread documents for review by Legal Counsel
- Assist the Legal Counsel with ad-hoc projects, which may involve liaising with outside counsel
- Support in the development and maintenance of precedents, contract templates, terms and conditions and other administrative matters relevant to the legal function
- Perform research into various legal matters and on applicable regulations, laws, and best practice in areas which are relevant to the Charity and its subsidiary
- Produce legal research notes on relevant aspects of law for internal circulation
- Provide cover and support to the Data Protection Assistant in managing and responding to requests from individuals
- Support in developing key performance indicators and measures relating to compliance against legislative and regulatory requirements
- Legal Qualification (e.g. LLB, LLM, LPC or Qualified Lawyer)
- Previous experience of working within an in-house Legal Team, ideally within a medium-to-large sized charity, fundraising agency or commercial operator.
- Generalist Legal knowledge (including Contract Law, Gambling Law, Charity Law, Data Protection Law and Intellectual Property Law)
- Strong experience and knowledge within Contracts Law and Contracts management
- Proven track record of working with different stakeholder groups at all levels of an organisation
- Proven understanding of governance and compliance regulations (ideally in the Fundraising Sector)
- Proven understanding or working experience of Data Protection and Information Security Principles and Protocols
- Flexible, discreet, and responsive with a proactive approach to problem solving
- Thorough and detailed approach to maintaining records and timetables
- Methodical approach to work and a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail
- Good written and spoken communication skills with the ability to express technical information to a non-technical audience
Please contact to find out more information regarding this fantastic opportunity for a Legal Officer based in London.
Morgan Hunt is a multi-award-winning recruitment business for interim, contract and temporary recruitment and acts as an Employment Agency in relation to permanent vacancies. Morgan Hunt is an equal opportunities employer. Job suitability is assessed on merit in accordance with the individual's skills, qualifications and abilities to perform the relevant duties required in a particular role.