Head of Development
Remote working - London
6 Months Contract with possible extension
£650 - £700 Per Day Inside IR35
My client is a leading Government sector organisation looking for a Head of Department who will be working alongside the Hub Deputy Director and the other Heads of teams you will share responsibility for implementing our strategic approach and delivery for our Delivery & Schemes business within the business
- Managing a team of 30 staff
- Supporting the Deputy Director in their role and contributing to the overall leadership, management and delivery of the team
- providing clear leadership and direction to the all aspects of software development, Testing and Architecture as required.
- Plan, direct, and coordinate all activities related to writing software programs.
- Act as the Subject Matter expert on all Software Development and Testing
- Ensure policies and procedures for Software Development and Testing are in place.
- Oversee the active management of the Software Development and Testing Environment
- Ensuring best practice is adopted and embraced for all elements of Software Development.
- Participate in the annual cycle of Software Development and budgetary planning as a member of the various governance Boards.
- On-going development of a Quality Management System and Continuous Improvement environment and culture with the Software Development and testing teams
- Work closely with other digita leaders to ensure benefits from Delivery & Schemes digital / technology architecture
- Ensure that the Software Development Function complies with all relevant GDPR regulations and internal policies
- Ensuring that appropriate security measures are in place and regulations complied with to protect Ofgem's digital and physical assets
- Act as the Senior Authority in the sizing and estimation of Software development work.
- Ensure that robust processes are in place within Software Development Team to accomplish sizing and estimation requirements from the organisation.
- Ensuring the development of the staff and addressing any skills gaps
- Line management and developing a team of individuals to deliver consistently high performance against set objectives.
- Acting as a collaborative member of the Leadership team taking collective responsibility for driving forward the organisation's overall performance.
What you will need to succeed-
- Educated to degree level or equivalent skills and knowledge in technology / engineering or associated software development qualifications / disciplines.
- Expertise in in team leadership
- Proven experience in Managing Software Development and testing functions in a complex regulatory environment
- Deep knowledge of established industry standards and best practice in Software Development and Testing.
- Experience in multiple project management approaches (for example; Agile, Prince2, Lean).
- Proven ability to make an impact at a strategic level
- Excellent stakeholder management, communication and influencing skills
- Working and influencing at a senior level with a broad range of internal and external stakeholders
- Managing and delivering budgets, utilising robust financial control
- Knowledge of application developer tools including Visual Studio and Oracle Developer
- A development background based on large, enterprise scale projects, ideally in a corporate environment
- Experience of Source Configuration Management including version control
- Be an expert in many technical areas, or a specialist with very deep knowledge in a particular technical area, for example: Microsoft .NET (C#); SQL Server Development; ASP.Net MVC; Test Driven Development (TDD); Continuous Integration, build and deployment automation; Object-Oriented Design; development techniques and design patterns; Relational database design; SQL Stored procedures; Unit Test Frameworks and Tools; Version Control tools and workflows.
- Knowledge of technology operations and application usage, specifically demonstrating management of KPIs to optimise processes, services and performance
Candidates will also be able to demonstrate:
- A proactive, self-starting approach
- Exceptional planning and organising skills
- Strong facilitation and negotiation skills
- Strong numeracy and literacy skills
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, including the ability to build and manage relationships with varied groups of stakeholders.
- An appreciation of renewable energy and social programmes Delivery & Schemes manages on the Government's behalf
- Previous Government sector experience
What you get in return-
£650 - £700 Per Day Inside IR35
Option to go Perm with desirable salary
What you need to do next-
Please apply by sending an updated copy of your CV
Morgan Hunt is a multi-award-winning recruitment business for interim, contract and temporary recruitment and acts as an Employment Agency in relation to permanent vacancies. Morgan Hunt is an equal opportunities employer. Job suitability is assessed on merit in accordance with the individual's skills, qualifications and abilities to perform the relevant duties required in a particular role.