Morgan Hunt are currently working with a well-established Young People's Charity in their search for a permanent Deputy Head of Legal to support the legal function, and provide generalist legal advice across the organisations and its subsidiaries.
You will be responsible for managing two direct reports, while deputing for the Head of Legal. You will be leading on Commercial Legal work (including contracts and procurement) with the ability to support the team and organisation with a wide range of generalist legal work including Intellectual Property, Data Protection, Charity Law, Safeguarding, Corporate Governance, Fundraising & Donations/Donor Contracts and Property Law.
The successful post-holder will be a Qualified Lawyer (5 years PQE) with experience working in an In-House position, ideally within the Charity Sector (allowing you to understand the nature of the legal work, workload and requirements within the Charity Sector).
You will have generalist legal knowledge and experience, with a strong focus around Commercial Law, Contracts and Procurement work (with experience relating to fundraising and donor contracts, and ideally IT and Digital contracts to support current transformation work). You will be a well-communicated, pragmatic and organised Lawyer with experience managing direct reports.
This role will offer fantastic learning and development opportunities for individuals looking to further their career within an In-House role, alongside 25 days annual leave ( Bank Holidays) and Christmas closure days.
The organisation offers 25 days annual leave plus bank holidays and 3 extra days over Christmas. You would be expected to work in the office around 2-3 days per week (between Tuesday - Thursday).
Job Title: Deputy Head of Legal
Location: Hybrid (2-3 days per week in Essex Office)
Annual Salary: £58,000 - £64,000
Job Type: Permanent
Hours: Full-time (35 hours per week)
- Assist the Head of Legal to provide a high quality legal service to support strategic priorities
- Provide generalist legal advice to staff in relevant legal issues and risks in all its commercial activities, with a focus around Contracts & Procurement Law
- Reviewing and drafting contracts between the organisation and third parties (in particular: commercial contracts, services, technology agreements, media and Intellectual Property licence agreements, grant agreements, funding arrangements and collaboration agreements)
- Assisting as required with the creation, maintenance and implementation of standard legal documents, guidance notes and policies
- Assisting with development and delivery of training to staff on legal issues
- Provide advice, support and training in relation to data protection, subject access requests and other legal issues
- Assist in the development of creative mechanisms to provide support, guidance and general legal advice across the organisation and to external stakeholders
- Assist in reviewing and drafting internal policies and governance documents
- Instruct external Solicitors/Counsel where necessary managing and monitoring work undertaken
- Deputising for the Head of Legal
- Qualified Lawyer (5 years PQE) with expertise in Contract & Procurement Law
- Experience of working as an In-House commercial Lawyer in the Charity Sector
- Experience of drafting and negotiating complex commercial contracts, fundraising contracts, licences, funding and collaboration agreements
- Experience of advising on complex data protection implications in a variety of commercial ventures
- Up to date knowledge of commercial contract, property, charity, fundraising, and data protection legislation and regulation
- Proven ability to manage and mentoring others
- Experience of managing and monitoring work undertaken by external solicitors
- Experience of drafting detailed, coherent reports and policies
- Excellent communication skills with ability to present complex issues clearly at all levels
- Strong relationship building and influencing skills
- Excellent research, analytical and problem solving skills
- The ability to meet deadlines and manage multiple tasks in a fast-moving environment.
Please contact to find out more information regarding this fantastic opportunity for a Deputy Head of London based in Essex.
Morgan Hunt is a multi-award-winning recruitment business for interim, contract and temporary recruitment and acts as an Employment Agency in relation to permanent vacancies. Morgan Hunt is an equal opportunities employer. Job suitability is assessed on merit in accordance with the individual's skills, qualifications and abilities to perform the relevant duties required in a particular role.