Morgan Hunt are currently working with a high-profile Regulatory Body, in their search for an interim General Counsel to deliver a professional (and specialist), proactive and responsive legal advice service to enable the achievement of operational and strategic objectives, leading to the provision of safe and effective services through greater legal and regulatory compliance.
You will manage and oversee the legal team, acting in a supervisory and advisory capacity, while ensuring high-quality service delivery. You be an active member of the Senior Management Team, involving both strategic and budgetary responsibilities.
You will be responsible for providing specialist technical and expert legal advice on a range of legal issues relevant to managing a diverse legal case load (including relating to employment, commercial contracts, and property matters).
You will manage outsourced legal services, advocate on behalf of the organisation and undertaking specific corporate projects. You will also be responsible for revising, drafting, and amending policies, procedures, templates and guidelines to enhance legal compliance and mitigate risk.
The successful applicant will be a qualified solicitor or barrister with experience providing In-House Legal Services (ideally within Regulatory or Charity Law). You will have generalist legal knowledge, with expert knowledge of employment law.
You will have experience making effective legal decisions, analysing complex legal documentation, presenting across an organisation and providing high-quality legal advice. You will be a strong communicator (written and verbal) with strong legal judgement and the ability to work autonomously.
This is an exciting opportunity offering the potential for extension. You would be required to attend the London Office once or twice a week
Job Title: General Counsel
Location: Hybrid (Remote & London Office)
Annual Salary: £70,000 - £90,000
Job Type: Fixed-term Contract (12 months, potential extension)
Start Date: ASAP
- Provide proactive specialist technical and expert legal advice on a range of legal issues and manage a diverse legal case load with a high workload
- Lead on legal and regulatory compliance, including the provision of expert legal training and legal awareness briefings (with a focus around employment law and policy)
- Make effective legal decisions and to advise on best practice and avoiding or mitigating legal risks, advising on complex or conflicting matters, advising on complex and legally compliant contracts and other legal documentation
- Achieve Legal Team targets for costs savings, including assisting in the implementation of cost saving strategies
- Establish and maintain effective organisational communication and working relationships at all levels and support the implementation of relevant legal aspects in relation to organisational strategy
- Maintain a full understanding of existing employment law and keep apprised of changes in legislation, regulations and legal compliance requirements
- Supporting in making relevant legal decisions regarding operational and strategic objectives, including revising, drafting and amending policies, procedures, templates and guidelines
- Conduct advocacy before court or to instruct counsel or other legal specialists, where appropriate,
- Advocate in formal and informal mediation and settlement processes and facilitating and organising such processes, including drafting and implementing relevant authorised agreements
- Deliver reporting requirements, in accordance with agreed procedures. Continue to implement case management processes for the legal support of internal stakeholders.
- Undertake specific corporate projects and to participate within cross functional working groups.
- Support relevant client stakeholders in implementation of project management duties, including making relevant legal decisions and recommendations, drafting relevant legal documentation including implementing legally effective and efficient contracts
- Act as Supplier Manager with the organisation's Select Panel of (external) Legal Providers, determining when to outsource legal instructions, where necessary
- Qualified Solicitor or Barrister with current practising certificate and experience in an in-house legal role
- Generalist legal knowledge, with expert knowledge of employment law
- Experience working within a government, charity or regulatory environment
- Excellent analytical skills with the ability to assess complex legal documents and make recommendations for action
- Proven experience providing high-quality internal advice, reports and papers
- Strong communication (written and verbal) skills, with the ability to communicate at all levels (including complex matters to lay members)
- Planning and organisational skills, able to manage own workload with flexibility
- Ability to provide advice and guidance balancing commercial needs and organisational values
- Ability to make informed decisions and to solve problems
- Expertise in advising on legal compliance on complex legal issues
- Ability to guide and direct less experienced lawyers
Please contact to find out more information regarding this fantastic opportunity for a General Counsel.
Morgan Hunt is a multi-award-winning recruitment business for interim, contract and temporary recruitment and acts as an Employment Agency in relation to permanent vacancies. Morgan Hunt is an equal opportunities employer. Job suitability is assessed on merit in accordance with the individual's skills, qualifications and abilities to perform the relevant duties required in a particular role.