Job Title: Policy Officer (Permanent)
Location: London (Hybrid 2 days in the office)
I am proud to be working exclusively with The Association of Optometrists (AOP), the leading membership body for optometrists, providing them with professional indemnity and support (optometrists are professionals responsible for protecting the nation's eye health by conducting sight tests and eye health checks).
The AOP are looking for a Policy Officer to join the Policy team on a permanent basis. The AOP's Policy Team sets the agenda for the profession: researching and developing policy, influencing government and articulating the future for eyecare across the UK.
This is a fantastic opportunity to participate in all aspects of the team's work, with particular responsibility for horizon-scanning and for supporting the AOP's decision-making structures: its Policy Committee and Council. As a Policy Officer, you will be responsible for assisting the Director of Policy and other senior staff in the creation and implementation of policy designed at representing the interests of the organisation's members. You will also support the policy team on member engagement, and on wider stakeholder engagement, to increase the scope of the organisation's influence.
This is an excellent job for anyone looking to develop their policy career with a positive, supportive team, enabling you to collaborate with and learn from experienced Policy colleagues. You will be given the opportunity to work on independent policy projects and have the chance to research and develop ideas, giving you full exposure to the inner workings of a reputable membership body.
- Regularly keep up to date with parliamentary and public bodies activity relating to eye care and wider association health and care matters; report back to organisation's committees, forums and colleagues.
- Conduct high quality research and consult with members to advise Council Committees on policy positions, whilst ensuring policy is informed by solid evidence with the interests of members in mind.
- Provide Secretariat support for the organisation's Council and Policy Committee, and support as needed for other cross-sector committees.
- Engage with key external stakeholders and decision-makers over policy development, attending meetings, preparing briefings and leading the construction of consultation responses.
- Create effective communication with members and external stakeholders, including Governments, NHS bodies, regulators, representative bodies across the UK and other external bodies, developing effective working relationships at all levels including the management of the virtual policy committee.
- Consider the impacts of policy changes on other areas of the organisation's work and member services, highlight these and initiate appropriate discussion and action.
- Take responsibility for resolving queries on policy-related issues for members, Council members and employees.
- Work with colleagues to develop and maintain website content and other internal and external communication activities.
If you would like to learn more about this role please contact me on 07925851747 or via email at
Morgan Hunt is a multi-award-winning recruitment business for interim, contract and temporary recruitment and acts as an Employment Agency in relation to permanent vacancies. Morgan Hunt is an equal opportunities employer. Job suitability is assessed on merit in accordance with the individual's skills, qualifications and abilities to perform the relevant duties required in a particular role.