Morgan Hunt are currently recruiting for a Systems Administrator on a permanent basis on behalf of our public sector client based in Edinburgh.
Salary: £43k - £52k
Annual Leave: 40 Days
Pension: 21% from the Employer
Working Pattern: Hybrid; 2 days on-site; 35 hours per week.
This is a post within the team which has responsibility for the operation, development, maintenance, and facility management of services and systems which use Linux operating systems together with the central provision of compute and data storage services for both the organisation's functions and its research base. This may include responsibility for, or specialisation in, specific services or aspects of a service (e.g., research compute facilities, infrastructure hosting, storage, backup, virtualisation, etc.).
- Ensure the continued day-to-day operation of the key services which underpin the normal running of the organisation.
- Ensure the integrity and safety of data on all managed services including the secure backup, restoration and archiving of data in line with the organisation's requirements for restoration of service in the event of a disaster.
- To support the rest of the Systems Team in responding to queries and issues which may arise in the use of these services to ensure the smooth running of all related services in the organisation.
- Provide leadership in a key service area, providing delegation opportunities for the Systems Team Leader, managing elements such as capacity planning, specification, design, procurement support.
Experience & Skills:
- Relevant technical certification or training in at least some of the following areas: Linux/UNIX administration, Virtualisation technologies, Large-scale cluster storage (e.g., GPFS, Ceph).
- Experience of administering computational infrastructure and services.
- At least 3 years of Linux systems administration.
- Experience in managing large scale Linux platforms.
- Demonstrable experience and track record of supporting large scale storage, compute and/or virtualisation infrastructure.
- Knowledge of at least one programming language such as Python or PHP
- Knowledge of revision control systems, e.g., git, subversion
- Knowledge of automation tools such as SaltStack, Foreman or equivalent.
Morgan Hunt is a multi-award-winning recruitment business for interim, contract and temporary recruitment and acts as an Employment Agency in relation to permanent vacancies. Morgan Hunt is an equal opportunities employer. Job suitability is assessed on merit in accordance with the individual's skills, qualifications and abilities to perform the relevant duties required in a particular role.