Morgan Hunt is delighted to be partnering again with the University of Glasgow in their search for Operations Manager - Grounds (Grade8). This is an exceptional opportunity to join Global leader within Higher Education & Research and work alongside other Facilities and Estates professionals.
Providing professional technical expertise in grounds, horticulture, and biodiversity, resulting in a clean, attractive, safe and sustainable campus environment.
Provide highly specialist, professional management and leadership to the Grounds and Gardens Operations staff and external contractors across the estate in the provision of cost-effective, high quality, planned and reactive grounds, gardens, and hard landscaping maintenance services.
Deputise for and support the Head of Operations by contributing to strategic planning, policy development and complex Facilities/Grounds related projects.
Responsibilities: (includes but not limited to)
- Effectively manage the Grounds and gardens staff ensuring the delivery of the day-to-day operation. Responsible for leadership of operational staff including the Lead Horticulturalist, Lead Biodiversity/Arboriculturist Gardeners, Assistant Gardeners and Apprentices and through establishing performance indicators to ensure best practice processes, procedures and equipment are being utilised.
- Proactively support the Facilities Services leadership team with the development and delivery of strategic and operational goals and objectives for Facilities Services and, Grounds and Gardens teams, which align with departmental and wider plans.
- Plan and organise individual and team activity for the long-term, ensuring plans and actions complement broader operational/strategic plans.
- Develop and support the Lead Horticulturist and Bio Diversity Lead to confidently operate in line with HR policy and procedure including recruitment, selection, induction, managing and supporting individual and team performance, attendance, disciplinary, grievance and performance and development reviews to embed a culture of continuous development and improvement.
- Lead role in ensuring the grounds and gardens are maintained and developed through working closely with Facilities Managers, coordinate maintenance work, including external contractors; assist and facilitate planning to minimise disruption to clients/building occupiers, within the zone. Assess and review priorities, resolve conflicts and issues to meet agreed performance standards ensuring the availability of staff, materials, tools and transport to facilitate the work schedule whilst adapting programmes of work to accommodate seasonal conditions.
- Ability to demonstrate the competencies required to undertake the duties associated with this level of post having acquired the necessary knowledge and skills in a similar or number of different roles. Or: Scottish Credit and Qualification Framework level 9,10 or 11 (Ordinary/Honours Degree, Post Graduate Qualification), or equivalent, including being professionally qualified in relevant discipline, with a broad range of professional experience in a management role(s).
- Technical and professional knowledge and understanding of specialist work practices, processes, and procedures relevant to grounds maintenance management, including broader sector awareness.
- Authoritative knowledge of Horticulture and Arboriculture best practice and standards.
- Extensive knowledge of relevant health and safety policies and procedures relative to the role, and the quality outputs and standards required.
Morgan Hunt is a multi-award-winning recruitment business for interim, contract and temporary recruitment and acts as an Employment Agency in relation to permanent vacancies. Morgan Hunt is an equal opportunities employer. Job suitability is assessed on merit in accordance with the individual's skills, qualifications and abilities to perform the relevant duties required in a particular role.